Tips for getting even the pickiest eaters all the vitamins and nutrients needed to optimize health and prevent disease.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I love good bread. Here's my recipe.

There's nothing better than coming home to hot bread just out of the oven.  Don't you love the smell!!  Unfortunately that never happens to me but I like to think about that as I'm making bread for my family. My mom would bake whole wheat bread several times a week while I was growing up.  The smell today still reminds me of coming home from school smelling my mom's bread and tasting it with butter and honey.  It was my favorite snack. Now as I pull a hot loaf of bread out of the oven that memory shatters when I hear my kids say, "OH, not HOMEMADE bread again, why can’t we just buy bread like everyone else?"


I try to explain to them that the bread found in the stores is full of chemicals and preservatives unless it costs like $5 a loaf.  Expensive.  That's why I started making my own bread.  I've gotta say I used to be scared to make bread.  I felt like it was going to take me ALL day so I had to plan out this HUGE block of time.  That's such a fallacy.  Once you bite the bullet and do it a few times you'll see that it's very EASY.  If I can do it, so can you.  That's the truth.  I learned to make bread from my wonderful sister and mom.  Thanks ladies!

The best thing about this recipe is it's lower calories than regular whole wheat bread.  Not only that it's a low gluten bread making it easier to digest.  This is perfect for those with wheat sensitivities. For gluten free substitutes click the link below.


Here's the recipe:
Put these ingredients in your mixing bowl
3 cups hot water
1 T salt
1/3 C Olive Oil or I use Safflower Oil
1 heaping Tablespoon of Honey
2 Cups Flour  (I use Wonder Flour) http://www.chefbrad.com/grain/articles.php?article=Wonder%20Flour&qid=5
Start mixing 
While mixing add 1 T yeast and 1 T dough enhancer or liquid lecithin (added nutrients that also make bread moister)
Add 4-6 more cups of flour til dough  pulls away from sides of the bowl.
Mix on medium speed for 15 minutes.

Shape dough and place in tins.  Let rise.

The cool thing about the dough enhancer or liquid lecithin is that it rises faster.

BAKE at 350 for 45 minutes.

Enjoy it despite what your kids might say.

No comments:

Post a Comment