Tips for getting even the pickiest eaters all the vitamins and nutrients needed to optimize health and prevent disease.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Quinoa & Curry Recipe



Have you heard of grains like millet, couscous, pearled barley, quinoa, and amaranthe.  These are just a few of the whole grains that I love and use often.  There are so many vitamins and minerals found in these whole grains that are hard to get in the average American diet.  Try cooking with these instead of plain rice.  I love making curry and quinoa.  Here's one of my all time favorite recipes I came up with.
Cook Quinoa in a pan.  Follow the directions for cooking.  Use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of Quinoa.

In a large fry pan ...
Add 1 T of Coconut Oil (this is perfect to handle the high heat)
Add 1 onion diced.
Saute in pan for a few minutes on high heat.

Add vegetables (start with veggies that need more cook time)
start with: Cauliflower, Carrots, Squash, Sweet Potatoes etc.. I use whatever I've got in my fridge.
saute for a few minutes
add in: green beans, sugar snap peas, broccoli, red peppers (a must), zucchini, etc

Simmer in pan for several minutes.  I add 2 or 3 T of water and close the lid.  Simmer for a few more minutes.  I don't like my veggies mushy, I enjoy them a bit crispy.

Add 1/2 cup or can of black beans.

Add herbs...I use fresh tarragon, basil, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and curry (probably 1 T). Careful it's spicy so use to taste.

Mix with Quinoa.  Add sesame seeds or sunflower seeds.

You can serve it on salad or eat it plain.  I like it with tortilla chips.  Perfect with chicken or steak if you eat meat.  You can eat it hot or cold.  Add tomatoes and avocado.  There's so many options.

BENEFITS of using Quinoa:
  1. An excellent source of iron, magnesium, potassium, phosporus, and zinc.
  2. Good source of B-complex vitamins.
  3. High in Protein. 
I buy mine thru Azure Standard at www.azurestandard.com.  or Sunflower Market or Any health food store.

No comments:

Post a Comment