Tips for getting even the pickiest eaters all the vitamins and nutrients needed to optimize health and prevent disease.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Garden time

It's garden time.  Would the weather please cooperate!!!! I'm so excited.  I'm using every possible space for my garden this year.  If you haven't started your plant starts yet, now's the time to do it.  It's super easy and much less expensive.  I bought the little greenhouse from Walmart (i think it costs $7).  Then I planted peppers (red, yellow, green, and jalapeno), celery, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, leeks, and onions.  These plants need a longer season than Utah offers so its best to get a head start on these.  You'll be able to transplant them easily.  If you haven't already gotten your peas, beets, carrots, chard, and lettuce in the ground you can do those plants anytime.  They are fine with the cold weather and even the snow.  Beet greens offer a lot of nutrients and are a great addition to your green drinks so be sure to plant beets that you can use just for beet greens. They are high in Magnesium which most Americans are extremely deficient in.  Chard is also a good one for your green drinks.  Chard grows under extreme circumstances. For example, I planted a row of swiss chard last august and kept it covered all winter.  My plants are now thriving and will be ready to use very soon.  Who would have thought??  Kale also grows thru the winter.  I have 2 kale plants that I kept covered that are growing very well now.  Between Kale and Chard you get 10 of the 12 essential vitamins.  They are an essential part of the green drinks.  I planted a variety of kale and chard.  There are several types. This will help you rotate the greens you use.  If you have any questions about gardening, I'd be happy to help.  I'm also willing to help get you started and come over with a shovel and my gloves.  For those of you who don't think its worth it, just try it.  There is nothing better than going out to my garden and picking fresh vegetables and herbs.  Green drinks taste way better to me.  The plants are fresh and have more enzymes and nutrients.  Kale and Chard can be grown in planters as well so there's no excuse.  Get to it:)

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I'm enjoying your blog! I'm on my 3rd year gardening at this home and I feel quite inexperienced. I have such a small place to plant and I have little knowledge of how to do it, but I'm trying! I have plans to plant tomorrow throughout my flower beds. I'm trying to squish as much in as I can, wherever I can get it! I wish we lived closer! I'd take you up on your offer for help! I wish I knew how to fit it all in my small garden (I do have a small plt for a garden)! Anyway. . .thanks for the tips. Wish I had known earlier about a $7 greenhouse! Maybe I should still get it and get some things started. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not too late to start some seeds indoors if you want. Depending on what you want to plant of course. I think its great you are using your flower beds and squishing things in. One thing I've learned is how to maximize your space by planting earlier harvested vegetable with longer harvested plants. Plant them really close together. So for example. Do a row of carrots but plant a 6 inches away plant a row of radishes or beet greens or chard. These veggies are quicker and will be pulled well before the carrots will be big enough. Maybe I'll post about that. Wish we were closer too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! My sister sent me a link to your blog. She is your sister's VT companion. I have started a lifestyle similar to yours - completely changed the way we are eating - about 10 weeks ago. It has been amazing. I have enjoyed reading your blog and I will be back to read again and use all your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete