Tips for getting even the pickiest eaters all the vitamins and nutrients needed to optimize health and prevent disease.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

the smart after school snack!

Is it just my kids that totally have a blood sugar crash as soon as they walk in the door after school?  Our conversation usually goes like this... 

ME:  "Hey kids, how was your day at school?"
KIDS: "Terrible."  (while starting to cry)
ME:  "Oh really that's too bad.  What happened? "
KIDS: "Everything.  No one likes me. I hate school.  I have no friends. Kids were picking on me.  My teacher yelled at me. I got pushed down at lunch. I hate my life!"  and the list goes on...
ME: "Wow, that sounds like a terrible day! (said as I hand the kids a snack.)

Our conversation fifteen minutes AFTER they have a healthy snack of protein and complex carbohydrates.

ME: "So you had a bad day? I'm sorry."
Kids: "Not really.  It was actually pretty good.  I made a new friend.  I got an A on my spelling test.  Oh and I had fun on the bus playing with this girl.  Can I have a friend over?"

This is seriously what happened a few days ago.  I figured out the reason for the break downs. Their blood sugar levels are so low from eating lunch at 11 am and then having to wait til 3:30 for a snack.  That's why it's important to give your kids HEALTHY after-school snack.  Don't let them snack on chips and sodas or cookies.  Here's a great opportunity to give them something substantial when their bodies need it the most.  Have it ready for them right when they walk into the door.

You know that while they were gone at school, they probably traded half the good things in their lunch for junk food and were probably fed sugar because there's a birthday party just about everyday so they aren't missing out on sugar. What they are missing out on is protein and some good complex carbohydrates. It's incredible how their moods will change as soon as they get some nutrients. They think more rationally which will help them in completing the hours of homework we are so lucky to get to do everyday.  :)

Peanut Butter Ball recipe
High in protein, essential fatty acids, and fiber.

1 cup peanut butter or almond butter (i made both separately and then mixed 1/2 and 1/2)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 T sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1 T sesame seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup currants (or raisins or dried blueberries)
Stir in 1/3 cup of brown rice syrup.
dash with salt
2 T unsweetened coconut

It looks pretty sticky and gooey.

Roll into balls with coconut flakes.
Then put balls on a greased pan to put in the fridge.



Make a big batch of these and after hardening them in the fridge, store in freezer bags in the freezer and pull out ten minutes before kids come in the house also have a shake ready for them. 

Here's the one I use!

MOOD-STOPPER SHAKE

1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk or chocolate almond milk (can use rice milk as well)
1 cup water
1 T flax oil
1 Avocado (optional--maybe don't put in if you've never tried it before-adds a creamy texture)
2 frozen banana (can use fresh)
2 large green chard leaves
handful of frozen strawberries
1 T cacoa chocolate powder (optional)
1 scoop protein powder

Life's so much better with great nutrition.  And EASIER when you're a parent.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes! I printed off the mood stopper shake, peanut butter balls, and lemon poppy seed muffins. If I decide to post them on my lean to the sun blog I will will link to your blog for the recipe. My kids need a treat today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out your blog. I'm so impressed. Way to take the plunge and change your diet so drastically. Way to Go Robin! check out her blog at www.leantowardthesun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added you to my blog roll. You are so good!

    ReplyDelete