Tips for getting even the pickiest eaters all the vitamins and nutrients needed to optimize health and prevent disease.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Snacks for those munchkins!

GREAT ALTERNATIVE to fruit snacks.  Stop buying all the processed food especially fruit snacks. Don't be fooled by the label when it says made with real fruit.  They might have a small amount of real fruit but will also have food dyes, sugar, and chemicals. Try making these instead . . .  

I don't know anyone that doesn't love fruit leather.  They are just so good.  I bought them for a long time until I realized how easy they are to make.  I use the dehydrator but you can use your oven on low heat. Perfect for your diaper bag or snack on the go.


Puree the fruit you want to use.  Our favorite leathers are plums.  I have jars of pureed  plums that are all ready to go.  They work better if there's some chunks and you don't want them too watery.

Spread out onto trays. Leave in dehydrator for around 6 hours or longer.  Check them every couple hours.  I usually lower the setting and keep it going all night.  If you use the oven bake for 3 -4 hours.


Look at my cute little 2-yr-old making them.  Told you it was easy.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the inspiration!! I have some pureed plums I bottled and haven't used...now I know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete