Tips for getting even the pickiest eaters all the vitamins and nutrients needed to optimize health and prevent disease.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Rotate your greens





I posted earlier about HULK JUICE!! Hulk juice is a great way to add greens to your children's diets.  If you are making them regularly its important that you rotate the greens you use.  Instead of blending the same recipe over and over again, try mixing it up.  Did you know there are several different types of Kale leaves and several different colors of chard-red, yellow, and green (look for rainbow chard).  There's also collard greens, dandelion leaves, watercress, and many more green leafy vegetables. 

 
today's recipe was a good one.  We made a green smoothie by using frozen fruit.

3 frozen apricots
3 frozen strawberries
1 banana
1 frozen pear
 2 tomato
2 collard greens
4 carrots
 4 chard leaves-yellow
  4 red kale leaves
handful of frozen blueberries
filled blender 2/3 apple juice
blended very well

This is a big recipe that feeds 6 people 1 1/2 cups each.  I usually fill my blender 3/4 of the way full of greens.

This drink was suprisingly good.  I thought the kids would reject it because it had vegetables.  The pear was so sweet that i think I found my new favorite thing to add to shakes.  PEARS!! I never thought to try.

Remember you can use fresh fruits instead of frozen and then use ice.  Since I don't have an ice maker anymore I've been freezing my own fruit and using it for shakes.  Anytime my kids eat only 1/2 a banana or apple, I throw it into the freezer for shakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment